As we age, the muscles and skin along the neck weaken and begin to sag resulting in excess loose skin and excess fat deposits under the chin and along the jaw. Treating a poor neck appearance can help you achieve the younger look you desire. Neck lift surgery is designed to restore a tighter, more defined neck for a more attractive and graceful appearance.
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s common to notice the first signs of an aging neck after 40 years of age. Patients may see loose skin and a loss of definition below the chin and jaw. Cords or banding in the neck may become more evident as the paired muscles located on either side of the neck (platysma muscles) loosen over the years. Skin becomes less elastic, and many patients develop a turkey neck or loose, sagging skin under the chin. Jawline definition is lost, and the development of the unsightly double chin.
The neck lift procedure addresses many of these issues, leaving you with an appealing complement for your facial appearance. During your operation, loose skin is tightened, the platysma muscles are adjusted, excess fatty tissue is removed, and youthful contours to the jawline and neckline are re-established.
The benefits of neck lift surgery include:
• Enhanced jawline
• Removal of excess skin and fat from under the chin
• Tighter facial muscles
A neck lift is a great procedure for an individual who is experiencing excess skin and muscle laxity on the neck. As we age, the skin on the neck can become loose and slack, excess fat and skin relaxation can create jowls, fatty deposits form under the chin, and muscle banding make the neck appear visibly aged.
More specifically, good candidates generally have one or more of the following issues:
• Muscle banding: Muscle banding is caused by the relaxation of the neck muscles and a loss of youthful fat. These vertical bands can develop following weight loss or as we age. You can develop the appearance of vertical bands along the front of your neck or along the sides, down towards your collar bone. Improving vertical banding can restore youthful fullness to your neck.
• “Turkey Neck”: Lax neck muscles and excess skin along the midline of the neck can contribute to the appearance of a turkey neck, which can appear as redundant folds of skin along the neck. Tightening techniques are used to treat this laxity. A neck lift can create a tighter, firmer neck profile that enhances your overall appearance.
• Double chin: Excess fat or skin under the chin can lead to a double chin. A distended pooch under the jaw can be caused by weight gain or the tissues becoming lax with age. A double chin can cause men and women to appear heavier than they are, or it can obscure the attractive definition that many struggles to achieve along their jawline.
A comprehensive neck lift consultation with Dr. Hancock or Dr. Nachlas is the best way to determine if you are a candidate. After examining your face and neck and having a thorough understanding of your concerns and anti-aging goals, Dr. Hancock and Dr. Nachlas will discuss both non-invasive and surgical approaches, when appropriate. Unlike other plastic surgeons who may only recommend neck lift surgery, Dr. Hancock and Dr. Nachlas have an innovative perspective of customizing surgical and non-surgical treatments for the neck and the face to comprehensively address signs of aging.
Because a neck lift resolves multiple cosmetic issues and no two patients are alike, Dr. Hancock and Dr. Nachlas customize the procedure for each patient to ensure optimal results. A neck lift is performed as an outpatient procedure under intravenous or general anesthesia and a typical operation is approximately two hours. Dr. Hancock and Dr. Nachlas will make precise incisions in the treatment site to deliver the best results possible while minimizing the risk of scarring. Next, the underlying tissues are repositioned, and excess skin is removed. The operation concludes with precise, meticulous closure of the incisions with sutures.
- Facelift: Reverses the visible signs of aging in the face such as jowls and sagging or loose skin
- Brow Lift: Treats drooping brows and deep wrinkles of the forehead, restoring a smoother, more youthful contour to the upper portion of the face
- Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty): Eliminates excess skin from the upper eyelids and removes under-eye bags and redundant skin from the lower eyelids
- Submental Liposuction: Eliminates excess fat causing the appearance of a double chin and improves the contours of the chin and jawline
- Botox: Smooths fine lines, wrinkles, and furrows caused by excessive muscle movements
- Dermal Fillers: Enhances the facial appearance without surgery by restoring volume to create a more youthful facial contour
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Hair Loss Treatment: Stimulates new hair growth and improves the health and strength of existing hair
The aforementioned procedures may be performed on their own or in conjunction with a neck lift surgery. To determine which procedure or combination of procedures can help a you achieve your desired facial rejuvenation goals, schedule a comprehensive cosmetic consultation with Dr. Hancock or Dr. Nachlas.
After the neck lift procedure, your neck and head may be bandaged. Your neck may feel tight and sore and you may experience some mild to moderate discomfort, which can typically be managed with prescription or over-the-counter medication. Some patients also experience temporary numbness around the incision. You will likely experience some swelling and bruising and these side effects will begin to improve within a few days. Keeping the head and neck elevated will help to alleviate the swelling. Many patients find that they are able to return to work and social activities after approximately 10-14 days.